Thursday, January 29, 2015

Adam's rule

June 18, 2014

            I just got a message that Adam wants to “be friends” on Facebook again.  I didn’t respond quickly enough and he seems upset.  He said I was his best friend the majority of his life and that it still meant a lot to him.  He said it was important to him that we play nice since we are the important people in the kids’ lives.  He said it was my choice but he was to the point emotionally where he thought we could share life experiences and talk without having huge blowouts.
            He plans to drop the kids off on Friday and pick them up the following Friday.  I miss them so much!  I tried to positively reframe him having them for a full week.  I thought it is my first week working and it will be nice to not have the chaos of children when I get home.  But I was wrong.  After listening to stories of kids being abused I just want to take care of my children.  I want to hold them and know they are okay. That’s not to say I think Adam is hurting them, but I need to see them and know they are whole. 
            Adam has changed his mind about Gary being allowed around the children.  This stinks.  He said they can be introduced but Gary is not to be in the house at night when the kids are here and he never wants them around him unsupervised.  He said every therapist, lawyer and other person he talks to has said he needs to draw a firm boundary with me on this and asked me to respect his wishes.
            I respect his wishes as the childrens’ father.  I asked him to clarify “at night” since in the summer night happens at 10 pm and winter closer to 5pm.  Or does he mean Gary cannot sleep over.  Then he said he doesn’t want Gary spending time around the children, I guess at all, which is contradictory to him saying they can meet.  He said meeting is not the same as spending time with. 
            This new rule is a shame.  Gary’s kids and our kids were all set to meet each other next week.  Gary and I had a fun meet up planned. 
            I asked that Adam follow the same rule when it comes to his girlfriends.  He said his request did not extend to all the men I date (cause I date a lot, oh wait no I don’t) only to Gary.  I said I understand but I also think it is a good rule in general, thus the reason Gary and I agreed to wait 6 months before introducing each other to children.  I think the rule is a good safety net for the kids no matter who we are each dating.  He never replied. 
            I do understand Adam’s concern about having a man he doesn't know around the children. But he is forgetting a few things.   Gary is not a pedophile.  He has never preyed on children.  Then there is me.  I am a loving parent that doesn’t want to put my children in danger.  I am not going to leave them with anyone until I fully trust that person.  I trust Gary.   I trust Gary more than I trust Adam.  Adam after all had nonconsensual sex with his wife: it just so happens he talked his way out of that.
             


No comments:

Post a Comment